Tuesday, January 26, 2010

When I Should Sleep

What would it sensibly take for me to censor myself? Is it right? Should I let things censor me? Is it out of concern for people, or for myself? Is it about whether I value my creative freedom higher than people's feelings?

I don't mean writing gossip, or stuff actually about people. I mean fiction, poems, word-art. I mean as a writer. Should I give in to a censor, be it out of respect for a person, or fear of consequences? Do I, as an artist, put creative freedom above individual people's feelings towards me or others? Yes. Yes I do. But the risk of hurting someone tears up conflict in me, be it because they're interpreting strangely, or because they're stupid as dead fish. What about in the cases where they'd be justified to be hurt? Where what I write is clearly provoking, intentionally or otherwise?

What I mean is; please tell me it's silly to censor myself for this. That's what I want to hear. I want to be able to turn it off. This compassion hindering my excursions into a higher world, and my ability to share it.

4 comments:

JUANdelaCRUZ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Riklurt said...

This is somewhat confusing. If you find out that a piece of work turns out too offensive to be good, then isn't that just a finished throwaway piece? I mean to say, either it's too offensive to be good, or it's good enough to outweigh the offensive, in which case it won't be a problem?

Maybe it isn't so simple and linear though...

Yeonni said...

I don't think "offensive" and "good" have any relation to each other at all? Why would they?

Rik said...

If they don't, why do you care about offensive? If it's still good, it's good, right?

Or maybe that's flawed reasoning...